Monday, August 24, 2009

T-Minus 12 Hours

"I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the change to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which found no outlet in our quiet life."

Thank you, Tolstoy, for providing my with such fine wisdom. I stumbled upon this quote earlier in 2009 and it has been my guiding force ever since. I am honest to god, over-the-top, ridiculously, annoyingly, obnoxiously 100% infatuated with the thought that the next 3.5 months are going to be absolutely phenomenal. I am so looking forward to my semester abroad...just ask my family how excited I am. My dad and Jon have a running tally of how many times the phrase, "I am so excited!," has come out of my mouth over the past few days (read: two years). I think it is up to about 437--more to come.

I am not sure the real purpose of this blog--if nothing else, it will be a great way to keep my lovely family and friends updated on my Roman holiday (yes, I am channeling Audrey Hepburn). It will also be the ideal way for me to chronicle my travels so I do not forget the details of my European life. For the minute thoughts, details and people-watching observations, I will be bringing along my trust travel journal (actually 2 of them--courtest of my friends at J&Y) AND my moleskin--perfect for scribbling down my thoughts.

2009 has been soo pivotal for me. Between my first professional experience at my internship this summer and my upcoming semester, I cannot help but feel that 2009 is going to be one of THOSE years and I am so okay with this!

I read this in a Rick Steves travel book about Italy: "Italy, home of the Vatican, is overwhelmingly Catholic, but the dominant religion is LIFE-motor-scooters, soccer, fashion, girl-watching, boy-watching, good coffee, good wine and il dolce far niente (the sweetness of doing nothing)." Does this not sound like me in a nutshell? Needless to say, I am ready to experience the rich culture and traditions of the Italians.

I leave tomorrow for Chicago--my plane leaves on Wednesday at 3:40 p.m. In true Meghan Ashbrock fashion, I am bouncing off the walls with excitement and my heart is practically jumping out of my chest with excitement. Also--how very me--I am leaving in 12 hours and still need to pack. Some things never change! Stay tuned, my friends. Arrivederci, Cincinnati! Ciao, Roma! I'm not sure Europe is prepared for my excitement.


pivotal

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what an honor, the first to post a comment on your awesome blog. I am sure you are well prepared to greet Italy with a lot of gusto. Have a fabuous trip, I will be following your adventure closely....your fearless leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MBD! I have not had time to update--I was in the south of Italy for the past three days on orientation. We have not even started classes yet. I will post SOON!

    ReplyDelete